I POSTED A NEW VIDEO FOR THIS http://www.aramistech.com/tips-tricks/new-unlock-iphone-tool-windows-geohots-blackra1n-jailbreak/ UPDATED 10/13/2009
WINDOWS USERS (JAILBREAK IPHONE 3.1 SOLUTION) LINKS UPDATED AND FIXED
For all of you that are using windows and are waiting to Jailbreak your 3G iphone with version 3.1 the wait is over. Since Quickpwn 3.1 has not been released, I posted a link i found below to a custom .ipsw 3.1 file that you can use to restore your iphone. Once it is restored with this version it will be jailbroken. I tried it and it works flawlessly, now my iphone is jailbroken.
To restore using this file, simply follow the instructions below. Please keep in mind that this is for iphones that are connected with a carrier and not unlocked iphones. You will need to activate it. Once the Quickpwn 3.1 comes out then you can also unlock it.
1. Download the iPhone1,2_3.1_7C144_Custom_Restore.ipsw file and save it to your desktop
2. Connect your iphone to your computer and open itunes. Make sure you have the latest version 9 of itunes
3. While holding down the Shift Key on your keyboard, click the restore button in itunes, this will bring up a popup window
4. From the popup window look in your desktop for the iPhone1,2_3.1_7C144_Custom_Restore.ipsw file, click on it and choose open.
5. iTunes will now start the restore process, be patient since this process takes about 15 minutes or so.
6. Once it is completed it will boot up. Your iphone is now jailbroken.
You need to put the iphone in DFU mode in order to do the restore correctly. Below is a link with instructions.
Requirements: First head over to www.apple.com and download and install the latest iTunes version 9. Once you do that then put the iphone in DFU mode and press shift on the keyboard, while doing that press the restore button and it will popup a window, look for the custom restore file you just downloaded and it will start the restore process.
Also this will not unlock your iphone, it will jailbreak it. Cydia is included.
If you get an error then get the iphone out of DFU mode and when it shows the image below on the screen, reconnect the iphone to your computer so that itunes detects it again, then try to restore it again. Donâ€™t put it again in DFU mode just try restoring it with the firmware you downloaded.
NOTE: THIS IS ONLY FOR THE IPHONE 3G, NOT FOR THE 3GS
If you need to download an original firmware for your device check out the link below. It will let you download any firmware version that you might need. Hope this helps out. You might have to downgrade the iphone 3G to version 3.0 before doing the upgrade to the custom 3.1 firmware.